Any pest problem is a significant inconvenience and a hassle. Still, if you have rodents, you know it’s a problem you can’t overlook. Not only do rodents surprise you when they run past your feet, but they also carry disease, spread germs, and damage your property.
If you’re looking for rodent infestation reduction methods, you’ll probably need a professional exterminator to get rid of them. However, what if you inadvertently attract rodents and don’t realize it? Here are some rodent infestation reduction tips.
1. Manage Garbage
Rodents are attracted to garbage like bees to honey. If trash gets accumulated around your home or garage, you’ve set up a restaurant that every rodent in Wisconsin wants to write home about. What if you don’t have a garbage pickup service? Invest in some high-quality, heavy-duty garbage bins. Ensure you take them regularly to your local trash collection spot.
2. Eliminate Food Sources
If you have a rodent problem, it won’t go away until you have accounted for all food sources where they might be eating.
- Put away all food after meals.
- Don’t leave any food sitting out on countertops or in cupboards.
- Invest in glass or ceramic jars with tight-sealing lids for all items packaged in paper or cardboard (flour, sugar, rice, etc.).
- Feed your pets the amount of food recommended for their breed and weight, and if they leave extra food in their dish, don’t leave it to sit out all day.
- Securely store all animal feed and grain in heavy-duty plastic bins with tight-fitting lids.
3. Eliminate Water Sources
Mice and rats need water, and if your home is the closest and easiest place for them to access water, they’ll be more likely to move in. Keep an eye out for the following water sources:
- Pet water dishes
- A leaky hose or other
- Ponds or ponding water in areas with poor soil drainage
- Landscaping features a fountain or birdbath
4. Block Any Openings To Your Home
Carefully check the exterior of your home for any openings where rodents are, and seal up the cracks. A mouse can fit through a gap that’s small enough for your little finger to fit into, so don’t leave even tiny cracks or holes untended.
5. Get A Cat
This rodent infestation reduction tip is both a preventive measure and a way to reduce rodent infestation (if you already have them). Not every cat will kill mice, but the ones who do are a lifesaver.
Already Have Rodents? Call An Exterminator
Rodents are trickier than insects because they’re pretty intelligent creatures. They’ll amaze you with their ability to thwart your best efforts at evicting them. Unless you find and destroy the nest, seal up all access points, and eliminate all the members in a population, you’ll keep seeing them.
If you live in the Eau Claire, WI area, contact 1st Choice Pest Solutions in Mondovi for professional rodent extermination. We also treat any other pest problems you may be experiencing.